Unfortunately, to keep the truffle shape, you do need to coat these with chocolate, and that does take some effort. But it is well worth it!
Honey-Dried Cherry Chocolate Truffles
Makes approx. 2 dozen, depending on size
1 1/2 c tart dried cherries-- look for unsulfured and unsweetened.
1/2 c creamed honey-- the thick, whipped kind that is off-white and comes in a tub.
8 0z unsweetened dark chocolate, for covering.
Knife & cutting board
Couple of bowls
Foil or wax paper.
1. Chop cherries as finely as possible. If you happen to have kitchen scissors, the easiest way to do this is to put them in a tall measuring cup and snip at them until they are all chopped up. If not, well, the finer the chop, the better the texture, so be patient!
2. Mix honey and chopped cherries together. You'll really have to work at it to get it smooth.
3. Place in refrigerator for a half-hour or so, or until less sticky.
4. Quickly roll out approx 1 inch balls of the mixture onto wax paper or foil covered tray.
5. Put tray in freezer so the centers harden and become less-than-impossible to work with. Leave them in for an hour or two.
6. Follow Instructions to coat centers