Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tamarind Cookies

Here is some Harebrained Fusion at its best. I was pulling out ingredients for a batch of molasses-ginger cookies a few nights ago, and I had to shuffle aside some currying supplies on my way to grab the molasses. I saw the tamarind concentrate and thought "Hey, this is dark-colored and viscous like molasses is. Why not try it in cookies?"

My proof-of-concept batch was promising but unbalanced. LaBrehm sampled them, prescribed a spicing that worked, and made batch two. The results were delightful: chewy and satisfying, with a lot of flavor but a light citrus character that keeps them from landing too heavily, although I don't promise this will hold if you eat the whole plate at once. For your summer baking pleasure, we give you...

Tamarind Cookies

Cream together:
1 C sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 egg
2 generous tablespoons tamarind concentrate
Juice and zest from 1 key lime (or half a regular lime)
1 tsp finely-grated fresh ginger
Mix in a separate bowl:
1 C flour
3 pinches ground black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Stir the dry and wet ingredients together to make a wet, sticky dough. Drop tablespoonfuls about 2" apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake until they're set but not crispy (8-10 minutes at 375° F). Cool them on a rack or towel and put them in an airtight container as soon as they get to room temperature; if they're left out too long on a humid June evening, they will absorb moisture and turn from chewy to floppy.

Makes about 3 dozen very thin 3" cookies.

A note about the tamarind: I used Tamicon brand concentrate, which is an extremely thick, dark, smooth-textured, very sour goop that looks a lot like molasses (hence my inspiration for this whole project). It comes in an 8-oz plastic jar with a red lid and it costs less than $2 at every Asian or Indian grocery I've checked, so don't rush to order it off the Internet unless that's how you roll anyway. I've also purchased tamarind by the whole pod and by the brick of pressed, unprocessed pulp. It's possible you'd get a slightly fresher tamarind flavor from these, but you're on your own for concentrate ⇌ pulp conversion factors.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for this recipe.
    I can pick my own tamarinds and process them so the thought came to mind, how about instead of molasses.
    It is lovely stuff.
    Tamarind also makes a great drink, spirited or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. Good idea. I make a ginger cake that calls for either maple syrup or molasses... wonder what it would look like with tamarind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome. This is going to totally rock my holidays! My mom gave me some tamarind concentrate earlier this year and I had never cooked/baked with it.

    ReplyDelete